YOU ARE LOVED BY GOD
God loves you because you are his precious creation – his child. He knows and loves every single human being regardless of their age, race, gender, sexuality, profession, history and background. God does not love you because you are rich, sexy or powerful and definitely not because he thinks you are perfect….
SIN SEPARATES YOU FROM GOD
God sees the selfishness (broken relationships, arguments, addictions, fears, anger, hatred) that bubble to the surface in all of us. The Bible calls this selfishness sin. Religion says that if you try hard enough, you can deal with sin in your life and impress God. Jesus exposed this as a lie — he said that sin comes out of our hearts. When people try really hard to be good, they know that sin is a real issue. Some really religious people — Mother Theresa, Mohandas Ghandi, Saul of Tarsus have written about this painful realisation. Ghandi wrote: ‘it is the evil passions within which keep me so far from Him.’ God is gutted by the mess we have made of the world and the fact that we go so far from him.
GOD HAS MADE A WAY BACK FOR YOU
The Bible says that Jesus revealed perfectly who God is. He called himself God’s son – not because there’s a Mrs God who bore a son to Mr God, but because he is one with God – the exact representation of who God is. Jesus showed us how to live a life of selfless love. He died to take the punishment that we deserve for our selfishness, to absorb the violence and evil of the world and to heal our separation from God. Then (and this is the best bit) he came back to life, showing that we can overcome death and the fear of death through faith in him — just like he said. Jesus said that he would send supernatural power to his followers when he went back to heaven to change them so that they could transform the world.
Christians are people who say sorry to God for their selfishness and rely on the supernatural power that comes from the cross and resurrection of Jesus to relate to him, change our own lives from the inside out and transform the world. We’d love you to join us.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE GOOD NEWS?
- Pray: Jesus said that you don’t have to use big words or magic words to pray and you don’t have to pretend to be anyone else. Anyone can talk to God.
- Read the Bible: Start with the biographies of Jesus (Gospels) in the New Testament. The more you discover about who God is the easier it is to pray to him and live for him.
- Ask any member of the church here about their Christian faith: We believe that the church is the people, not the building and that the church is here to share the good news of God’s love, forgiveness and purpose for all of us. So come along to any of our groups or events or get in touch and ask us about it!
- Making the connection: Read the bestselling author and International speaker J. John’s booklet ‘Making the Connection’ – available free from the church.
- Alpha: Discover and discuss the Christian faith over a series of meals in a relaxed environment. WBC runs regular Alpha courses, aimed at people of all faiths and none. For more details check out our Alpha page
REAL LIFE STORIES
In 2014 we ran a project called the secret to tell the stories of the difference Christian faith has made to lives of some of the folk in our church family. You can hear some of those stories here.